Every Freemason has his own reason for joining. For many, Freemasonry acts as a ‘constant’, providing them with a unique combination of friendship, belonging and structure, with many Freemasons saying they have made valuable lifelong friendships. Above all and for most, Freemasonry is simply an enjoyable hobby. Social activities are also a part of this at Hotspur Lodge – see some of our posts.
Other reasons include:
- Achievement – progressing through the offices in the Lodge to become Master
- Brotherhood – making new friends from all walks of life
- Charity – contribute to deserving causes, both Masonic and non-Masonic
- Education – learning from peers and mentors by practising and making speeches
- Knowledge – finding out about the history of Freemasonry.
- Self improvement – making a contribution to your family and society
- Self confidence and the ability to learn increases
What benefits will I get out of Freemasonry?
- Meet people from many different walks of life
- Satisfaction of helping others less fortunate than yourself
- Self-confidence and ability to learn
Who can join the Lodge?
- Have a Belief in a God – All religions are welcome and respected
- Male and at least 21 years old. University students can join at the age of 18
How much does it cost?
You don’t have to be well-off to become a Freemason. It costs less than you may think and is comparable to other social clubs and societies.